Saturday, January 25, 2014

~Misc.~

I have a basket of acorn squash sitting in my kitchen, left over from fall. Since they're still good, I hopped onto Pinterest and found a few recipes to try out.

First up, acorn squash and carrot soup:


It really should be called carrot and acorn squash soup, because there are more carrots than squash. But it was good. I had all the ingredients, so I did something I rarely do, and made myself lunch from scratch. (I always eat lunch, just leftovers or something quick and easy.)

I ate it for lunch, then breakfast the next morning, then lunch the next two days after that. It was good but now I'm not so sure. :-/

It is snowing. A lot. I'm tired of snow. Mostly, we've just stayed home. I did get out today and it was nerve-wracking for me to drive on the roads. Spring is around the corner, right? I hope so, but right now we're buried in snow! Last year I took Vitamin D3 for the first winter since we've lived in Michigan, and I had a marvelous outlook on winter, which I attributed to the Vitamin D. I think maybe this year the placebo effect has worn off? ;-) Or maybe I should up my Vitamin D. I don't know...but I do wish it weren't so cold and snowy! Oh, and I have been wondering why I am so, so cold this winter and then it dawned on me that I'm missing 30 pounds of insulation. LOL I guess that's a fair trade, but...brrrrrrr.

I've finished my shawl - just need to block it. My sister emailed me and said a gray Staple dress would be perfect and I think so too! Now to find time to make it! I haven't started a new project yet; I'm making myself block my shawl before casting on a new project!

This deserves a whole new post, but something I'm excited about lately: fermenting vegetables! I love them! So far: kimchi (2 batches so far! it's so addicting, and Kevin likes it so much he packs it for lunch), a carrot, daikon radish, ginger mix (that also found its way into Kevin's lunchbox), and sauerkraut. There is something so satisfying in spending time on food that needs to just sit for a while.

Well....that's it for now. Soup, snow, a shawl, and fermented veggies! :D

Take care, and stay warm!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'm spelling it right....a local restaurant makes a kimchi out of only cucumbers that is to die for!

Anonymous said...

yay on missing 30 lbs. :) the soup looks good, but not sure I could eat it for days on end.

Tammy said...

The kimchi with only cucumbers sounds tasty!

Thanks, Rebecca! :)
I should have probably frozen the leftovers instead of attempting to eat them all. Live and learn. ;)